Computational Modelling Engineer
Mangrove Lithium, a Canadian cleantech company located in Metro Vancouver, British Columbia, is focused on the commercial development of novel electrochemical technologies; supplying systems for refining lithium from a variety of sources. Our breakthrough Li refining technology seeks to unlock a battery powered, clean energy future. We are committed to mitigating the effects of climate change by bringing more electric vehicles to the market. The company recently attracted funding through Breakthrough Energy, BMW i Ventures, and BDC Capital and is working towards the deployment of a first-of-a-kind commercial plant.
We are seeking an intermediate to senior level modelling engineer for our team in the optimization of the technology through computational hydraulic (plus mass transfer and chemical reaction) studies with comparisons to bench scale and pilot scale data. You will be responsible for selecting suitable and adaptable platforms for computational modelling software, with necessary hardware to efficiently aid in fast paced process and mechanical technology developments.
- Application of computational models to analyze various equipment flow geometries seeking optimal flow distribution, mass transfer rates, and reaction kinetics with mechanically acceptable hydraulic parameters, including the following duties:
- Selection of suitable mathematical models and computational approaches to simulate complex flows,
- Implementation within an adaptable commercial software environment,
- Supplement commercial code with custom sub-routines as required for inclusion of mass transfer and chemical reaction dynamics, and
- Development of computational grids for complex 3D geometries
- Verifying quality and accuracy of computational results;
- Working with engineering teams to reduce discrepancies between model results and real data,
- Correct/improve as necessary,
- Develop meaningful result presentations,
- Develop comparison charts with bench and pilot data.
- Participate in assessing development objectives suitable for short-term and long-term modelling work;
- ie, assisting in realistic task scheduling versus commercial priorities.
- Prepare presentations and reports for internal and external stakeholders.
- Maintain software, internal programs, and specific hardware.
- Fully document and manage all documentation for internal users.
Qualifications and experience
- MSc to PhD in chemical engineering, materials science, or related fields with computational mathematical experience.
- 3 to 5 years experience working in industrial R&D and product development environment.
- Good understanding of electrochemistry is highly desirable.
- Experience in fabrication and operation of improved chemical process equipment
- Self-motivated, proactive, flexible, and passionate about learning.
- Excellent critical thinking, analysis, and problem-solving.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Self-motivated with an attitude to tackle technical challenges.
- Ability to interact with a wide range of scientists and engineers.