Accounting Operations Lead
About the Company
KoBold Metals Zambia is a Zambian-led company exploring for the ore deposits that will become the next generation of new mines in Zambia.
KoBold Metals Zambia is the Zambian affiliate of KoBold Metals, a U.S.-based company exploring around the world for battery metals using proprietary AI to guide exploration decisions. Our business is discovering, defining, expanding, and developing mineral resources, and our objective is to achieve a step-change improvement in exploration success resulting in more tier 1 resources discovered faster, with fewer failures, and with far less exploration capital.
KoBold is privately held and its investors include: institutional asset managers T. Rowe Price and Canada Pension Plan Investments; technology venture capitalists Andreessen Horowitz, Bill Gates’s Breakthrough Energy Ventures, BOND Capital, Standard Investments, and Sam Altman’s Apollo Projects; and leading natural resources companies Equinor, Mitsubishi, and BHP.
KoBold Metals Zambia is building a rapidly growing team of Zambian geologists, operators, and executives to identify, acquire, explore, and develop exploration opportunities and mineral resources drawing upon KoBold’s technology and the expertise of colleagues worldwide.
About the position
In this role, you will support our exploration programs in Zambia by helping to establish and maintain the infrastructure for internal finance operations. You will work closely with our exploration field teams and employees in Zambia and abroad. You will also work with vendors and service providers of our projects in Zambia and our global corporate finance team. Since Zambold is a startup company, your role will be dynamic and your role and responsibilities will grow as the company grows.
The Accounting Operations Lead will:
- Perform accounting and reporting for KoBold Metals Zambia and affiliated entities in Zambia
- Qualify and onboard vendors with the help of the field exploration team
- Be the primary liaison between vendors and the global accounting team
- Prepare project reports and analyses of fieldwork expenses
- Review all necessary monthly/quarterly/annual filings and reports
- Perform corporate allocations and transfer pricing entries
- Calculate cross-border payroll when applicable
- Understand indirect taxes, transfer pricing and other accounting issues in Zambia
- Help build the accounting & finance function
- Take on a wide variety of projects in accounting and operations
- Handle sensitive information in a confidential manner
The candidate must have:
- At least 7 years experience in an accounting operations role
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Accounting or professional qualification in Accounting
- The ability to quickly learn new tools as needed and solve new problems continuously
- Flexibility to accommodate calls with colleagues in other countries
- The ability to implement and maintain new processes as the company grows
- Interest in contributing broadly to the success of the company and eager to pitch in where needed
A great candidate will be:
- Highly self-motivated and autonomous
- Excited about working on a wide range of problems and having a wide scope of responsibility
- Well versed in basic principles of accounting and contracts
- Well-organized and a proactive communicator
- Careful and consistent about getting the details right
- Experienced working in a fast paced, continually changing environment (this is a material plus)
We are committed to equal employment opportunities for all people.
This position is a full-time contract role.
At this time, we are only accepting applications from Zambian nationals.
Location: Lusaka, Zambia.
Something looks off?