Senior Procurement & Fabrication Specialist
Job Title: Senior Procurement & Fabrication Specialist
Location: Centred around London with our flexible trust based work policy
Salary: £60k-£75k PA
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
- Employee Share Option Scheme
- Above industry standard holiday (30 days vs 22-25)
- Close office over Xmas where possible
- £500 personal development grant every year
- Unlimited mental health support
- 3 months of equal Paternity or Maternity leave
- Monthly rewilding donation on your behalf
About Mission Zero Technologies:
MZT is a hardware technology start-up pioneering a breakthrough Direct Air carbon Capture (DAC) technology that can scrub CO2 from the air using a fraction of the energy compared to incumbent technologies developed by the likes of Carbon Engineering and Climeworks. In the past three years, MZT has evolved its technology from concept to pilot plant scale, successfully raising over £8m from a mixture of private and government funding. MZT’s technology is a hybrid of approaches, combining efficient solution-phase capture of CO2 with a continuous and compact electrochemical separation technology.
Mission Zero and its work is guided by its principles of bold curiosity, problem solving acumen and hope for the future. We strive to realise a world where humanity has new tools to fight climate change, remove CO2 permanently from the atmosphere and produce everyday products such as concrete blocks or fuels from atmospheric carbon emissions. To do this we need to realise a decentralised Gt supply chain for CO2 sourced directly from the atmosphere.
You have the opportunity to join MZT at a pivotal point in our company's history - our transition from an early-stage R&D startup into a product offering, revenue-generating company poised to rapidly scale our DAC technology across the world.
MZT is hiring a Senior Procurement & Fabrication Specialist with advanced skills in purchasing and inter-disciplinary interface management, ideally with experience in absorption, scrubbing, gas-liquid separation systems, and/or electrodialytic processes. In this role you will work with the engineering and projects teams in implementing reliable procurement and fabrication supply-chain approaches for our upcoming DAC plants (currently spanning 50 - 2500 teCO2/year capacities across various geographies). This will require the role holder to lead on packaging and interface management, leading vendor package engagement, and supporting the broader team upstream in design as well as external partners in executing commercial-scale technical projects.
The role will demand a smooth inheritance and deepening of our existing supply chain relationships in parallel with the creation of brand new supply chains which will allow the company to rapidly but sustainably scale manufacture of its novel technology as we emerge from pilot and demonstration growth phases.
The role is primarily an office based role with regular visits to potential and chosen suppliers, fabricators and integrators with flexibility to work remotely at reasonable frequencies.
Our vision for our early stage employees is that they own the business with us (literally), grow it with us and become part of the collective story of Mission Zero, taking a catalytic role in its early history and the fight against climate change.
What you’ll be responsible for:
- Leading strategy for procuring equipment and packages for assembly into our carbon negative DAC products; to be delivered into identified contexts across numerous MZT projects: from 50 te/year research units to 2,500 te/year scale up projects to be sent across the world.
- Engaging a widening variety of potential suppliers / vendors / integrators / fabricators in order to secure pragmatic, rapid and competitive bids.
- Close involvement with all key external vendors for mechanical packages, especially the fabricators in liaison with engineers across disciplines.
- Assessing, in collaboration with partners and agents, possible routes for manufacturing scale-up considering geographical / cultural / carbon intensity / quality impacts.
- Overseeing the fabrication for equipment and packages as ordered, working across the delivery team to ensure feasible deployment on time to project sites.
- Supporting project management team in procurement and fabrication delivery across projects of pilot and commercial scales, including packaging philosophy and in the interfaces between internal teams and external suppliers.
- Applying commercial awareness in negotiations with vendors to ensure suitable vendor boundaries are defined with the opportunity to optimise plant and product performance as MZT scales rapidly in the DAC space.
The Ideal Candidate will possess:
- A passion for developing technical and commercial solutions for the world's greatest challenges.
- >5 years experience in procurement and fabrication of major industrial construction and/or manufacturing projects
- Degree in suitable discipline
- Supply chain certification through an appropriate body
- Evidenced strong negotiation skills, economic and contractual awareness.
- Good understanding of mechanical packaging philosophy and procurement approaches.
- Ability to interface with key engineering disciplines in the specification for procurement and fabrication requirements. An ability to distil and clearly communicate this to potential suppliers.
- Mechanical / inter-discipline focus in undergraduate / postgraduate studies
- Experience across multiple industries
- Chartered professional through CIPS or equivalent
- Demonstrated experience working with absorption, scrubbing, continuous gas-liquid systems and/or electrodialysis.
- Good understanding of hazard and risk identification especially relating to e.g. PUWER, Machinery Directive, CE / UKCA marking.
- Experience designing, running and supporting pilots or commercial plants.
- Experience with engineering supply chain management.
- Basic understanding of fundamental electrochemistry principles and background industrial chemistry knowledge.
- Familiarity with processes handling CO2.