Laboratory Technician II
Job Title: Laboratory Technician II
Location: Centred around London with our flexible trust-based work policy
Full Time/Part Time: Both part-time and full-time applicants welcome
You have the opportunity to join MZT at a pivotal point in our company's history - our transition from an early-stage R&D startup into a product offering, revenue-generating company poised to rapidly scale our direct-air capture technology across the world. You will work closely with the Laboratory Facilities Manager and other scientists and engineers in the Technology Team to carry out key operations and assist with the development of Mission Zero’s technology. This multifaceted role involves conducting and leading established experiments, analysing samples and data, upholding laboratory standards, managing consumable inventories, maintaining analytical and functional equipment. The role also involves mentoring and guiding junior laboratory technicians.
What you’ll be responsible for:
- Conducting testing of prepared samples in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures;
- Assisting scientists and engineers in planning, designing, and executing research experiments, including development of new methods, validating new equipment or processes, and contributing to research projects;
- Mentoring and guiding junior technicians in laboratory procedures and safety protocols;
- Leading and organising the calibration of laboratory equipment (e.g. pH and conductivity meters, CO2 sensors, flow sensors, gas and ion chromatography, etc.);
- Assist in interpreting data, preparing reports, and presenting findings to stakeholders;
- Leading efforts in troubleshooting and resolving complex experimental or equipment issues;
- Adhering to all health and safety requirements set by the company;
- Sharing responsibility in monitoring and replenishing laboratory chemicals and consumables; includes maintaining records of orders for the technology team;
- Sharing responsibility for maintaining cleanliness and orderliness in the laboratory and with equipment;
- Contribute ideas and suggestions to enhance laboratory operations.
- HND/HNC or BSc/BEng or higher in a scientific or engineering discipline
- Capable of working safely within the guidelines of risk assessments and COSHH assessments;
- Proven experience in chemistry laboratory settings, including proficiency with various equipment and techniques with a particular emphasis on maintaining and troubleshooting delicate and precision instruments.
- Experience in leading and managing small teams, demonstrating the ability to delegate tasks, mentor team members, and promote a cooperative and team-oriented work atmosphere;
- Capability to logically address and effectively solve problems, particularly in situations involving unexpected experimental deviations or equipment issues;
- Ability to work independently on a day-to-day basis, requiring minimal guidance;
- Ability to quickly adapt to changing work environments and methodologies, an essential quality for thriving in startup companies;
- A real passion for the climate;
- Knowledge and/or experience with sustainable laboratories practices (e.g. waste reduction/energy efficiency);
- Strong analytical abilities to interpret complex data and contribute meaningfully to research findings;
About Mission Zero Technologies (MZT):
MZT is an early-stage start-up pioneering a breakthrough Direct Air carbon Capture (DAC) technology that can scrub CO2 from the air using off-the-self, modular technologies. In the past two and a half years, MZT has evolved its technology from concept to pilot plant scale, successfully raising over £8m from a mixture of private and government funding. MZT’s technology is a hybrid of approaches, combining efficient solution-phase capture of CO2 with a continuous and compact electrochemical separation technology.
Mission Zero and its work is guided by its principles of bold curiosity, problem-solving acumen and hope for the future. We strive to realise a world where humanity has new tools to fight climate change, remove CO2 permanently from the atmosphere and produce everyday products such as concrete blocks or fuels from atmospheric carbon emissions. To do this we need to realise a decentralised Gt supply chain for CO2 sourced directly from the atmosphere.
At MZT, we value diversity of cultural backgrounds, experience and perspectives and leverage these qualities to create exceptional outcomes. We are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, sex, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, age, disability, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy or related condition or any other basis as protected by applicable law. Please do not hesitate to let us know if you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation.
- Employee Share Option Scheme
- Above industry standard holiday (30 days vs 22-25)
- Close office over Xmas where possible
- £500 personal development grant every year
- Unlimited mental health support
- 3 months of equal Paternity or Maternity leave
- Monthly rewilding donation on your behalf