Test Stand Engineer (Carbon Removal)
Job Title: Test Stand Engineer (Carbon Removal)
Location: Centred around London with our flexible trust based work policy
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
- Employee Share Option Scheme
- Above industry standard holiday (30 days vs 22-25)
- Close office over Xmas where possible
- £500 personal development grant every year
- Unlimited mental health support
- 3 months of equal Paternity or Maternity leave
- Monthly rewilding donation on your behalf
- Cycle to Work scheme
About Mission Zero Technologies:
Mission Zero Technologies (MZT) is a hardware technology start-up pioneering a breakthrough Direct Air carbon Capture (DAC) technology that can scrub CO2 from the air using a fraction of the energy compared to incumbent technologies developed by the likes of Carbon Engineering and Climeworks. In the past three years, MZT has evolved its technology from concept to pilot plant scale, successfully raising over £8m from a mixture of private and government funding. MZT’s technology is a hybrid of approaches, combining efficient solution-phase capture of CO2 with a continuous and compact electrochemical separation technology.
MZT and its work is guided by its principles of bold curiosity, problem solving acumen and hope for the future. We strive to realise a world where humanity has new tools to fight climate change, remove CO2 permanently from the atmosphere and produce everyday products such as concrete blocks or fuels from atmospheric carbon emissions. To do this we need to realise a decentralised Gt supply chain for CO2 sourced directly from the atmosphere.
You have the opportunity to join MZT at a pivotal point in our company's history - our transition from an early-stage R&D startup into a product offering, revenue-generating company poised to rapidly scale our DAC technology across the world.
You will work primarily in the technology development team focusing on developing the foundational scientific/engineering solutions to advance our current and future DAC products. You may also represent the technology development team working cross functionally with our product, engineering delivery and commercial development teams, ensuring continuity of effort, information, purpose and vision.
Specifically MZT is hiring a test stand engineer to work primarily within the technology team developing current and future platforms we will use to advance our R&D. Learnings taken through the test stand development process will then be transferred along the product journey and you may also interface with MZT’s delivery team working to develop and deliver our full scale commercial offerings. You will spend time developing a variety of test platforms that will range from investigating novel ideas and proving concepts through to sophisticated, automated platforms for long term process validation. Your expertise will be pivotal in shaping the performance of our next-generation of our groundbreaking DAC technology.
The role will be centred around our headquarters in London, but with scope to work on our various emerging UK sites, suppliers and further international sites in the medium to long term as we expand the business globally.
Our vision for our early stage employees is that they own the business with us (literally), grow it with us and become part of the collective story of Mission Zero, taking a catalytic role in its early history and the fight against climate change.
What you’ll be responsible for:
- Mechanical, process and systems design of a variety of test stand types ranging from proof of concept demonstrations through to automated larger scale process validation platforms.
- Developing sensing and control systems for the test platforms alongside our existing team.
- Translating learnings taken at lab & demonstration scale through to designs that can be implemented at full product scale.
- Masters/PhD in mechanical, mechatronic or process engineering or related fields
- A passion for developing technical solutions for the world's greatest challenges
- Understanding and experience in the fabrication of mechanical parts and assemblies.
- Strong practical skills, demonstrated experience with predominantly hands-on work and hardware development
- Process chemistry knowledge relevant to hardware/equipment design & selection
- A grounding in the fundamentals of fluids handling, hydraulics, control systems & instrumentation
- High proficiency with CAD software (SOLIDWORKS/SolidEdge) for mechanical design producing quality drafts for manufacture. Experience with PLM software is a bonus.
- Experience with P&ID drafting, ideally using AutoCAD
- Worked in previous projects involving automation, optimisation and development of chemical processes
- Experience with process risks & hazard identification and mitigation approaches, ideally with HAZOP and FMEA experience.
- Understanding of electrical controls and instrumentation and familiarity with PLC programming, electrical design, wiring, actuation and sensing.
- Experience with the UKCA/CE marking process
- Competent with programming languages eg. C++/Python
- Prior experience with electrochemistry and electrochemical processes
- Previous exposure to CO2 capture and utilisation technologies.
At MZT, we value diversity of cultural backgrounds, experience and perspectives and leverage these qualities to create exceptional outcomes. We are dedicated to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, sex, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, age, disability, citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy or related condition or any other basis as protected by applicable law. Please do not hesitate to let us know if you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation.