Director, Analytical Development
Chicago, IL, USA
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2022
Nature’s Fynd is a groundbreaking food tech company born out of NASA-supported research on extremophiles in the geothermal pools of Yellowstone National Park. Our novel fermentation technology produces a sustainable source of complete protein using only a fraction of the resources required by traditional agriculture. As the challenge to feed the world’s expanding population grows, our mission is to create amazing foods and materials that provide sustainable choices and nurture the planet.
We’re looking for passionate, driven, and ambitious people to join our fast-growing team.
The successful candidate will be an engaged thought leader and people leader to drive development of analytical methods to support R&D, manufacturing, product development and quality. The successful candidate will serve as the resident technical expert on analytical tools and instruments and when needed will establish collaborations with external labs or institutes. The candidate will possess deep knowledge of analytical methods to analyze microbial biomass, fermentation media, food products, and secondary metabolites. The successful candidate will be instrumental in coordinating cross-functional collaboration with R&D, pilot plant, production, quality, and regulatory. The applicant will be an accomplished scientist with technical and business acumen to drive research projects from ideation-to-finish line.
Previous track-record of successfully developing analytical methods used to develop or test commercial microbial or food products is desirable.
This position will be in Chicago, Illinois at our 2075 W 43rd St location.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manage and set direction for scientific staff working on analytical methods and delivering data in a timely manner
- Member of R&D leadership team setting priorities and directions for organization
- Conducting research in methods to support R&D programs, manufacturing process development, quality and product development
- Working with cross-functional teams to support scale-up and production
- Working well in teams to develop new technology and products you'd never achieve on your own
- Manage innovation activities and completion of projects within agreed timelines
- Provide data-driven insights to solve technical challenges
- Interface with R&D, regulatory, manufacturing, and new business development for new product development, or improvement of existing products
- Prepare project proposals, conduct bench-top work, and analyze, summarize present scientific outcomes
- Provide accurate, clear, and concise reports on R&D activities
- Champion science-based, data-driven approach to solve complex problems
- Identify, engage and establish internal and external technical collaborations with customers, industry, and academic partners
- PhD in Chemistry or related field with focus on analytical sciences
- 10+ years of experience including expert knowledge of scientific principles and demonstrated track record of leadership
- Proven track record in building and leading technical teams
- An innovative mind-set and can-do attitude coupled with an enthusiasm for optimizing production of filamentous fungi and development food products
- Strong interpersonal, influencing, and project management skills
- Technical expert in developing analytical methods
- Extensive experience using common analytical laboratory equipment and analytical data analyses
- In-depth technical knowledge and hands-on experience in wet chemical and instrumental analyses
- Computer skills in data spreadsheet, work processing, and PowerPoint presentation programs
- Hands-on experience with analytical techniques and methodologies: ICP-MS, Elemental (CHNS/O) Analyzer, GC-MS, HPLC, LC-MS, TGA/DSC, FT-IR, UV/Vis Spectrophotometer, optical microscopes and various wet chemical methods
- Experience with laboratory management and industrial product quality control guidelines, such as GLP and cGMP, ISO, etc.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Comfortable working in a start-up environment
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and influence technical direction and strategy
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Participation in Employee Stock Ownership Program
- 100% paid employee benefits (medical, dental, vision)
- Generous Parental leave policy
- Opportunity to join a company with an aggressive growth trajectory that will revolutionize multiple industries
- Engaging and dynamic work culture full of innovation and collaboration with your fellow Fynders
Commitment To Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, And Belonging:
- Nature’s Fynd views equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging as the pathway to achieving inclusive excellence and fostering a culture where everyone can thrive. We strive to create a community that draws upon the widest possible pool of talent to unify excellence and diversity while fully embracing individuals from varied backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, and values
- We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law