Senior Metrology Engineer
San Jose, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2023
QuantumScape is on a mission to transform energy storage with solid-state lithium-metal battery technology. The company’s next-generation batteries are designed to enable longer range, faster charging and enhanced safety in electric vehicles to support the transition away from legacy energy sources toward a lower carbon future.
We’re on a mission to electrify cars by building the next generation of energy storage technology! Do you want to make a major contribution to this critical part of the future energy economy?
As a member of the Metrology team, you will implement world class inspection systems for improving quality of the highest performance batteries in the world. You will work closely with process, automation, and analytical teams to develop and deploy solutions on our manufacturing line as we rapidly scale.
- Lead R2R inspection strategy and execution
- Design, develop, and deploy R2R/web inspection solutions for high velocity, continuous measurements, and quality control.
- Lead junior team members toward successful outcomes on R2R inspection projects.
- Manage the complete lifecycle of inspection solutions, including gathering requirements, identifying and validating solutions, performing or assisting with installations, planning improvements and maintenance.
- Lead procurement of high-throughput inspection equipment working with established vendors in this space.
- Ensure efficiency, uptime, and accuracy of metrology systems.
- Participate in developing measurable product and component specifications that lead to improved yield and performance.
- Work with suppliers and other 3rd parties to integrate inspection systems and sensors onto existing production equipment.
- Develop long-term plans to support growing volumes and associated equipment changes on the manufacturing line.
- B.S. with 5+ years of experience, M.S. with 3+ years of experience, or PhD
- Experience in a manufacturing setting a plus
- Previous experience in roll-to-roll/web processing and inspection, ideally towards challenging inspection tasks (e.g. ultra-high throughput and/or resolution).
- Experience adapting inspection solutions to automated manufacturing systems and tooling.
- Experience managing and leading engineering teams.
Knowledge, skills & abilities:
- Experience specifying, installing, and configuring production R2R inspection equipment.
- Experience working with a wide variety of industrial vision and measurement vendors.
- Experience working with radiative and non-radiative in-line thickness, density and profile gauges.
- Experience integrating, specifying PLCs for industrial process equipment.
- Strong understanding of statistical process control and measurement systems analysis.
- Proficiency in regression analysis, classification, and basic statistical tests using statistical software such as Python, JMP, Minitab, or Excel.
- Familiarity with image processing and machine learning methods as they apply to inspection data.
- Thrive in a multi-faceted, technically-challenging environment, and quickly adapt to changes.
- A good communicator and enjoy working as part of a collaborative team to tackle complex challenges.
- Able to multi-task with excellent time and project management practices.
- Share a real passion for our mission.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.
See more open positions at QuantumScape
Something looks off?