EHS Technician, Environmental
About Redwood Materials
About Redwood Materials
Redwood Materials was founded in 2017 to create a circular supply chain for electric vehicles and clean energy products, making them more sustainable and driving down the cost for batteries. We are doing this by developing and deploying innovative technologies to increase the scope and scale of recycled and sustainable materials in the global battery supply chain.
Environmental Health and Safety Technician - Environmental
Redwood Materials is looking for an EHS Technician to join our growing EHS team! The successful candidate will be responsible for the performance of tasks in spill mitigation, incident investigation, job hazard analysis (JHA), environmental inspections, and hazard recognition and mitigation. The EHS Technician supports day-to-day operations by handling plant EHS inspections, improving employee engagement, collecting, and recording EHS information, and driving continuous improvement of overall EHS processes and systems. This position is more environmental compliance in its nature.
Responsibilities will include:
- Identifies and addresses environmental, health and safety risks and impacts, and compliance requirements.
- Escalates issues where necessary and follows up to ensure successful resolution.
- Inspects lineside waste collection bins, waste accumulations area containers, general trash collection bins and trash dumpsters for potential waste comingling. Corrects issues on the spot, documents findings, and drives corrective and preventive actions to prevent recurrence.
- Ensures proper labeling and storage of various waste streams according to regulations
- Conduct 90-day Central Accumulation Area inspections and reporting
- Provide emergency spill response and cleanup
- Ensure all spills are properly logged in a timely manner
- Continually identify and investigate opportunities for waste minimization and cost savings
- Ensure availability of waste management instructions binders, hazardous/universal waste labels, required signage
- Conduct daily, weekly, monthly EHS inspections (Hazardous waste, SWPPP, VOE’s,) and input data into EHS databases.
- Support the incident investigation process through incident documentation, root cause analysis, and corrective action implementation
- Perform task safety assessments using job hazard analysis and development of Standard Work Instructions (SWI)
- Support environmental compliance and emergency response
- Collaborate closely with multiple levels of the organization including Operators, Engineers, and Leadership
- Represent EHS in our battery processing and manufacturing facilities guiding operators and technicians in safe work practices and behaviors
- Performs tasks related to spill response/prevention. Order and maintain adequate spill supplies: spill pads, empty drums, secondary containment, and other equipment necessary to maintain safe handling and correct disposal of hazardous waste.
- Proficient at MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, and MS Outlook
- Ability to perform the necessary physical tasks associated with the position including bending, lifting up to 50 lbs., climbing stairs and ladders, standing, and walking (multiple level building) up to 12 hours daily, and an ability to work in manufacturing and construction environments
- Ardent team mentality and effective communication skills
- Able to respond to hazardous spills, battery thermal events, and employee incidents
- Well organized, excellent attention to details and a passion for all things Environment, Health, and Safety
- Preferred certification:
- Hazardous Waste Generator RCRA Training
- Hazardous Waste Shipper DOT Training
- OSHA 10 or OSHA 30 – General Industry certification
- Hazard Communication OSHA Training
- HAZWOPER 40 Training
- Forklift Operation Certification
- Able to communicate and engage effectively with management, EHS leaders, site operations teams, contractors, and vendors.
- Capacity to work independently and safely with minimal supervision
- A passion for sustainability and making the world a better place!
The position is full-time. Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
We collect personal information (PI) from you in connection with your application for employment with Redwood Materials, including the following categories of PI: identifiers, personal records, professional or employment information, and inferences drawn from your PI. We collect your PI for our purposes, including performing services and operations related to your potential employment. If you have additional privacy-related questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.