Senior Instrumentation & Controls Design Engineer
About Redwood Materials
Instrumentation & Controls Design Engineer
We are seeking a highly skilled and experienced Instrumentation & Controls (I&C) Design Engineer to join our team. As an I&C Design Engineer, you will play a crucial role in the design, development, and implementation of instrumentation and control systems that ensure the safe and efficient operation of our plants. In this exciting startup environment, you will have the unique opportunity to contribute to the development of the systems and standards that will be used to perform the work. Your work will involve creating detailed designs, specifying instruments and control devices, and collaborating with multidisciplinary teams to deliver innovative solutions for our chemical processing facility.
- Contribute to the development of I&C system designs that meet the specific requirements of the plant, focusing on safety, efficiency, and reliability.
- Responsible for development of detailed "Issued for Construction Drawings" (IFC) and "As-Built Drawings" (ABD) to support the installation and permitting of the control systems and instrumentation. This includes but not limited to:
- Conduit and cable tray sizing and routing plans, including fill calculations
- Circuit Schedules for low voltage control signal, power, and network wiring
- Installation details
- Develop and maintain instrumentation installation specification
- Review and edit P&ID (Piping and Instrumentation Diagrams), loop diagrams, and control system narratives according to ISA standard.
- Support the controls engineering team in specification and selection of appropriate I&C devices, ensuring compatibility with process and environmental requirements.
- Participate in process hazard analysis (PHA), hazard and operability studies (HAZOP), and layers of protection analysis (LOPA) to identify and mitigate potential safety risks.
- Create and maintain accurate documentation of instrument datasheets, specifications, and technical reports, including comprehensive IO lists, valve lists and instrument lists.
- Develop commissioning procedures for instrumentation systems.
- Collaborate with project managers, other engineers, and technicians to coordinate the installation, commissioning, and maintenance of I&C systems.
- Assist in procurement activities by providing technical expertise in selecting instrumentation equipment and components, and working with vendors to procure components.
- Provide technical support to operations and maintenance teams for instrumentation-related issues and breakdowns.
- Troubleshoot and resolve control system problems, ensuring minimal downtime and disruptions.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical, Chemical, or Mechanical Engineering or appropriate alternative.
- Professional engineering license (PE) is a plus.
- Proven experience in the design and implementation of I&C systems for chemical processing plants, with a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience.
- Familiarity with industry standards and regulations, such as ISA, NEC and ANSI.
- Proficiency in CAD software, specifically AutoCAD and REVIT, and instrumentation design tools.
- Experience with Comos, Aveva Instrumentation, or Smart Plant is a plus.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills.
- Commitment to safety and quality in all aspects of work.
- A passion for sustainability and making the world a better place!
The position is full-time. Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
We collect personal information (PI) from you in connection with your application for employment with Redwood Materials, including the following categories of PI: identifiers, personal records, professional or employment information, and inferences drawn from your PI. We collect your PI for our purposes, including performing services and operations related to your potential employment. If you have additional privacy-related questions, please contact us at email@example.com.