Software Engineer, Factory Automation Intern/Co-op (Hybrid/Remote)
About Redwood Materials
Factory Automation Intern - Summer 2024
We are seeking a Factory Automation Intern to assist in the development and optimization of our factories and battery refining & materials production processes. This intern will work with other software, controls, and systems engineers to help develop software for sophisticated real-time controls / industrial automation. These software applications will leverage advanced capabilities such as predictive control and inferential variable control. The software will also incorporate feedback from simulations and models of the physical plants (often referred to as “digital twins”).
Responsibilities will include:
- Development of Python based applications to advanced our factory control systems
- Integrate output from offline simulations, models, and other external data sources (examples could be power consumption models, metal pricing forecasts, or chemistries of end of life batteries in our inventory)
- Run software applications in offline test environments against simulated plants as well as software that runs live on the plant floor
- Work with a highly cross-functional landscape of engineers to gather requirements, and work with stakeholders to provide solutions as they are required.
- Participate in conversations about high-level control strategy design, informed by simulation and data analytics.
- Pursuing a B.S. or advanced degree in software engineering, electrical engineering, mechantronics, materials science, or another discipline with significant relevant coursework.
- Prior internship or relevant project/work experience with physical process modeling or controls systems
- Working knowledge of Python and/or simulation software packages, and functional software engineering skills.
- Familiarity with process control systems and theories (PID controllers, etc)
- Understanding of mechanical, electrical, and thermodynamics first principles and fundamentals.
- Readiness to work on complex system design.
- Self-motivated, hands-on attitude, with a willingness to contribute at all levels.
- A passion for sustainability and making the world a better place!
The position is full-time for the summer of 2024 in the Reno, Nevada area. Open to remote / hybrid arrangements as well for the right candidate!
The position is full-time. Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
We collect personal information (PI) from you in connection with your application for employment with Redwood Materials, including the following categories of PI: identifiers, personal records, professional or employment information, and inferences drawn from your PI. We collect your PI for our purposes, including performing services and operations related to your potential employment. If you have additional privacy-related questions, please contact us at email@example.com.