Chemical Process Design Engineer
Other Engineering, Design
Posted on Wednesday, September 6, 2023
Job DescriptionJob Description: Chemical Process Design Engineer Summary: A Chemical Engineer at Solidia Technologies® perform a broad range of activities associated with the design and development of Solidia curing system. These activities focus on the initial stages of the engineering design process, including research collaboration, process conceptualization, feasibility assessment, and basis engineering design. Secondary activities include the support of detail engineering, Construction, and commission/Startup. In some cases, direct support and involvement in Research and Development is required: Design of Experiments (DOE), execution of experiments, and analysis. Activities include but are not limited to the following: General Duties:
- Development of Process Flow Diagram (PFD) and Heat and Material Balances. This includes the use of process simulation software. Equipment sizing, specification, and evaluation.
- Design and layout of curing chambers or curing reactors involving collaboration with external CFD or CSTR mixing experts. Scale-up from lab scale to commercial.
- Development of Piping & Instrument Diagram (P&ID) and the layout of equipment and piping system. This includes he fluid flow design of process and utility piping systems.
- Operating description and definition including safety and control intent & methodology
- Capex (Capital) and Opex (operating) cost studies and evaluations.
- Coordination and involvement with R & D activities, generally involving direction on fundamental engineering design information and conditions, and the analysis of experimental data to understand and draw engineering incite.
- The scale of the process and equipment range from experimental apparatus to commercial curing system.
- Perform & support for process safety evaluation and implementation of necessary safety improvements
- Commissioning and startup experimental and commercial units
- Monitor and analysis of curing system operation and troubleshooting. Operation of actual equipment is sometimes required.
- Some instrument specification and selection is required and the development of expertise in Solidia specific instruments and analyzers.
- Some management of small process or fabrication projects is required. This usually involves internal resources and external vendor coordination.
- Experience in PFD and process development
- Experience with process simulation: AVEVA, Aspen, etc.
- Knowledge of process equipment: heat transfer, fans, blowers, pumps, motor drivers
- Experience in P&ID and system development
- Knowledge of process controls: PID loop function, control valves, variable frequency drives, etc.
- General piping knowledge, manual valves, supports, layout, materials, pipe class, etc.
- Computational & physical modeling skills required using spread sheeting, simulation, Python, etc.
- Experience in fluid piping system design and pressure drop calculations
- Knowledge of concrete and cement is a plus
- Proficiency in MS Office applications, Visio & Project or similar is helpful
- Project management understanding is plus including scheduling, budgeting, resourcing
- Ability to work with contractors and consultants
- Strong organizational skills
- Critical thinking, logical planning, and the ability to draw conclusions from data
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently
- Standing for extended periods of time
- Ability to lift and or carry up to 40lbs.
- On site TXHQ (Texas Headquarters) 5003 Eisenhauer Ste 101, San Antonio, TX 78218
- Full Time
- 5-8 years experience
- B.S. or M.S. in Chemical Engineering
- High School diploma required.
- Solidia Technologies, Inc. is an EEO employer. The above information is a summary description of the job at Solidia Technologies. The details reflected herein may not fully represent the entire scope of the assignment. The employer reserves the right to adjust duties and/or compensation at any time during employment with the Company. Solidia Technologies employs at-will.