A thriving economy in space is needed to make life on Earth more vibrant, sustainable, and equitable. Space technology will enable global access to information, solutions to climate change, answers to global food security, products that transform healthcare, clean energy production, and more. Today, rocket launch options are slow, expensive, and unreliable. Stoke is building the world’s most efficient fully and rapidly reusable rocket designed to fly daily that will radically increase access to space and open up the space economy to safeguard our precious home, Earth.
As an advanced Welding Engineer at Stoke Space Technologies you will be responsible for selecting, developing, qualifying, and maintaining welding technologies and related processes that manufacture rocket tanks and engines. Your expertise and technical guidance will be essential in making critical company decisions sure as vehicle architecture, alloy/process selections, and long-standing capital equipment investment. You will use your background in metallurgy and material science to select and test appropriate alloys and joining processes suitable for the component’s expected service environment. You will train and certify welders in manual, mechanized, and automated processes while establishing traceable company documentation systems.
Leveraging your previous experience and deep manufacturing knowledge you will serve as a subject matter expert for joining and other metalworking processes while guiding critical tank and engine builds. You will identify, down select, purchase, install and commission capital manufacturing tooling and equipment to bring appropriate capabilities in-house. You will be responsible for selecting, coordinating, and standing up internal appropriate Non-Destructive Testing examination techniques with suitable acceptance criteria’s.
You will assist manufacturing AS9100 certification efforts with high efficiency and low overhead input; targeting a minimum viable product result which acts to advance company quality documentation while preserving a culture of nimble development and fast iteration.
- Serve as metallurgical subject matter expert for joining and related processes
- Qualify weld procedures, lead material and joint testing campaigns for both tank and engine components
- Embody and instill Stoke values and company culture throughout organization
- Lead in the identification, down selection, and purchase of capital manufacturing equipment and tooling
- Maintain close relationships and communications with internal design customers, provide design-for-manufacturability input
- Disposition and oversee repairs on critical hardware
- Design, fabricate, and iterate custom tooling
- B.S. or higher degree in Weld Engineering, Materials Science & Engineering, or related field
- 10+ years of experience in critical welding environments
- Firm understanding of NDT methods and result interpretation
- Master understanding of array of joining processes (minimum: GTAW, LBW, OTW)
- Strong background in capital equipment selection and procurement
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Effective interpersonal skills and conflict management
- Ability to produce visually acceptable manual GTAW fillet in aluminum and stainless
- Medical, dental, vision and basic life insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Flexible Scheduling
- Level 4 Range: $136,900 - $205,400
- Level 5 Range: $164,300 - $246,500
The Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including with respect to disability and veteran status. It is committed to compliance with all equal opportunity laws, including the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) and Title VII. It does not discriminate on the basis of nationality, race, citizenship, immigration status, or any other protected class when it comes to employment practices, including hiring.
Employment at the Company is contingent upon satisfactory completion of reference and background checks, and on your ability to prove your identity and authorization to work in the U.S. for the Company. Employees must comply with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services employment verification requirements, and, therefore, they must complete an Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9 at the start of employment and re-verify authorization to work periodically.
Separate from this I-9 process, this position entails access to certain technology and technical data that is restricted under U.S. export control laws and regulations. Employment or continued employment may be conditioned on your legal authorization to work with or have access to export control materials as necessary to perform your job.