Senior Heat Transfer Engineer
Woburn, MA, USA
Posted on Monday, July 24, 2023
Giving everyone in the world access to clean, reliable, affordable energy will require substantial expansion of global electricity transmission networks. VEIR is developing a new generation of High Temperature Superconductor (HTS)-based transmission lines, enabling long distance, reliable, low loss, cost–effective power transfer in far smaller right–of–ways. VEIR’s innovations overcome the main barriers to transmission expansion, enabling the world to access the very lowest cost renewable power.
VEIR is seeking a qualified Heat Transfer Engineer to join our team. This individual will work on VEIR’s Heat Transfer Engineering team to design, construct, and improve VEIR’s liquid nitrogen heat transfer systems.
- A strong communicator keeps others informed as we work. You should understand and be a master of communicating with the team, whether it be digital or verbal.
- A capable collaborator. You understand that we can accomplish more as a team than as an individual. Working by yourself is essential, but the ability to help the group achieve its objectives are key.
- Experienced in working with heat transfer and fluid systems. You have in-depth understanding of fluid flow, heat transfer, and thermodynamic theory as well as experience designing custom components. You are able to design a testing approach to ensure the components are functioning as designed, and are comfortable in a lab environment setting up and troubleshooting laboratory tests.
- Creative. You are able to bring a wide array of engineering and scientific principles to bear to solve unique problems.
- Safety Focused. You exemplify the best in our industry in visible safety leadership.
- Challenge the Process. You question the standard dogma of our industry and believe that there are better ways of doing things - We just need to explore them.
- Curious by nature, you want to understand why things work and how certain decisions were made. You learn independently and gain skills outside of your comfort zone.
- Lead in the design, test, and qualification of one or more key VEIR custom liquid nitrogen system components
- Utilize CAD tools for design and analysis, create engineering drawings, conduct design reviews, and ensure designed components meet or exceed system requirements
- Use engineering software such as MATLAB and Mathcad to perform engineering calculations relating to heat transfer, fluid flow, thermodynamics, and stress analysis
- Work with liquid nitrogen systems and technicians in the lab to setup and conduct necessary tests
- Work in a multi-disciplinary engineering environment to communicate challenges, updates, and needs
- Collaborate with both internal and external machine shops to produce required components as necessary
- Engage external suppliers and vendors as necessary
- At least 3 years of related professional experience
- Expertise designing and testing novel systems related to heat transfer and fluid dynamics
- Experience using CAD software such as SolidWorks
- Experience using programming languages such as MATLAB or Python
- Bachelors Degree in a related field
- Experience with computational fluid dynamics (CFD) software such as STAR-CCM+
- Experience with finite element analysis (FEA) software such as ANSYS Mechanical
- Prior Experience working with cryogenics
- MS or PhD in a related field
Expected Outcomes in 12 Months:
- 3 months: General understanding of VEIR heat transfer and fluid flow system components. Has taken ownership of key VEIR components, including the design, as well as created a plan for fabrication and testing of components to specification.
- 12 months: Is a fully integrated member of the heat transfer team, executing on component design qualification plan.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, and any other protected ground of discrimination under applicable human rights legislation. We strive to respect the dignity and independence of people with disabilities and are committed to giving them the same opportunity to succeed as all other employees.
To all recruitment agencies: VEIR does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, VEIR employees, or any other organization location. VEIR is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.