Engineering/Research Technician (Systems Engineering)
Woburn, MA, USA
Posted on Friday, October 6, 2023
Giving everyone in the world access to clean, reliable, affordable energy will require substantial expansion of global electricity transmission networks. VEIR is developing a new generation of High Temperature Superconductor (HTS)-based transmission lines, enabling long distance, reliable, low loss, cost–effective power transfer in far smaller right–of–ways. VEIR’s innovations overcome the main barriers to transmission expansion, enabling the world to access the very lowest cost renewable power.
VEIR is seeking a qualified Engineering/Research Technician to join our team. This individual will support VEIR’s Superconducting Systems Engineering Team in designing and executing experiments to evaluate the performance of VEIR’s prototypes
- Hands-on by nature. You love to work with your hands doing projects–People often call you a tinkerer. Whether there is dirt literally under your fingernails or figuratively, you love to tackle projects.
- A strong communicator keeps others informed as we work. You should understand and be a master of communicating with the team, whether it be digital or verbal.
- A capable collaborator. You understand that we can accomplish more as a team than as an individual. Working by yourself is essential, but the ability to help the group achieve its objectives is key.
- Experience in laboratory or research environment. You have experience working in a laboratory or research environment
- Safety Focused. You exemplify the best in our industry in visible safety leadership.
- Challenge the Process. You question the standard dogma of our industry and believe that there are better ways of doing things - We just need to explore them
- Curious by nature, you want to understand why things work and how certain decisions were made.
- Maintain laboratory site and experimental facilities, e.g., orderliness, cleanliness, coordination of craft work, site preparation, site clean-up, and waste management.
- Design, construct, and operate experimental stands; build and assemble mechanical and electrical laboratory equipment; set up sensing and recording equipment, including data acquisition, power supplies, current sensors, voltage sensors, etc.
- Work with liquid nitrogen flows, pressurized systems, energized electrical equipment, hand-operated power tools, basic machine shop equipment, and forklifts.
- Work with engineers to perform precision measurements in a cryogenic testbed environment.
- Record procedures, equipment, and parameters used in technical work. Capture and analyze findings and data.
- Collaborate with the experimental team, interpret results, summarize outcomes, and plan the next stages of technical work
- Work with other personnel as appropriate for the conduct of the technical work
- The Company expects all Engineering/Research Technicians to exercise independent judgment and discretion regarding design, installation, and assembly of laboratory test stands and equipment, maintenance of experimental facilities, use of data acquisition systems, and conducting experiments to investigate the performance of VEIR subsystem prototypes.
- Ability to build and maintain a detailed understanding of VEIR technology and experimental procedures
- Thorough understanding of and demonstrated experience adhering to environment, safety, and health policies and procedures
- Sound knowledge and understanding of work hazards, safety practices, and resolution of related issues
- Competency in technical work, such as handling cryogens, soldering; fabrication, carpentry, and basic machining; following analytical procedures and methodology; characterizing and testing materials, using hand and power tools
- Ability to use research data acquisition systems (oscilloscopes/digitizers, temperature and pressure sensors, LabVIEW).
- Exceptional internal customer service, organizational skills, and ability to interact with all levels of staff, service providers, and customers.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills across all levels of staff and management.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- Ability to work independently and take ownership of projects and assignments
- Associate's degree in a relevant field plus at least 3 years of related professional experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with mechanical and electrical assembly of research equipment and instrumentation
- Experience operating an R&D-focused experiment
- Experience operating a Quality Control testbed
- Experience troubleshooting and operating laboratory and industrial equipment
- Experience working with and operating specialized laboratory and diagnostics equipment such as mechanical, data acquisition, cryogenic, fluid control, high-power cable test systems; etc.
Expected Outcomes in 12 Months:
- 3 months: General understanding of VEIR Superconducting systems. Is comfortable working in the VEIR cryogenic laboratory under the supervision of senior research technicians.
- 12 months: Can independently execute laboratory tasks relating to cryogenics, instrumentation, and more.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, and any other protected ground of discrimination under applicable human rights legislation. We strive to respect the dignity and independence of people with disabilities and are committed to giving them the same opportunity to succeed as all other employees.
To all recruitment agencies: VEIR does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, VEIR employees, or any other organization location. VEIR is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.