Electrical Engineer (Transmission Line Hardware)
Woburn, MA, USA
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2023
Giving everyone in the world access to clean, reliable, affordable energy will require substantial expansion of global electricity transmission networks. VEIR is developing a new generation of High Temperature Superconductor (HTS)-based transmission lines, enabling long distance, reliable, low loss, cost–effective power transfer in far smaller right–of–ways. VEIR’s innovations overcome the main barriers to transmission expansion, enabling the world to access the very lowest cost renewable power.
VEIR is seeking a motivated and qualified Electrical Engineer to join our team. This individual will support the Superconducting Systems Engineering team in designing, testing, and manufacturing VEIR’s prototypes and products.
- A strong communicator: You keep others informed as we work to enable collaboration and prioritization. You are skilled at communicating with the team, whether it be digital or verbal.
- A capable collaborator: You understand that we can accomplish more as a team than as an individual. Working by yourself is essential, and the ability to help the group achieve its objectives is key.
- Safety-focused: You exemplify the best in our industry in visible safety leadership.
- Improving the process. You question the standard dogma of our industry and believe that with some exploration, we may find better ways of doing things.
- Curious by nature: You want to understand why things work and how certain decisions were made.
- Hands-on by nature: You love to work with your hands doing projects–people often call you a tinkerer. Whether there is dirt literally under your fingernails or figuratively, you love to tackle projects.
- Design high-current connectors for transmission lines.
- Prepare drawings, specifications, and assembly procedures for prototype hardware.
- Develop and review Interface Requirements Documents (IRDs).
- Create standard testing and operating procedures.
- Oversee and support the installation, commissioning, and operation of testbeds and experiments.
- Ensure compliance with electrical system codes and regulations.
- Develop and implement a growth strategy focused on advancing the Technology Readiness Level (TRL) and Manufacturing Readiness Level (MRL) of VEIR prototypes.
- Provide support to other engineers in the design, manufacturing, and serviceability of VEIR's products.
- Attend internal and external meetings, calls, conferences, and site visits to support the project, clients, vendors, and other VIPs.
- Collaborate with fellow engineers to maintain adherence to project timelines and deliverables.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field plus at least 5 years of related professional experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Expertise in the design and testing of high-current components such as cables, connectors, splices, etc.
- Solid understanding of analog circuit design and analog signal processing.
- Proficient user of Spice.
- Familiarity with circuit protection and recovery techniques.
- Proficient technical writing for authoring and editing test plans, reports, procedures, etc.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field plus at least 10 years of related professional experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with Finite Element Modeling tools (ANSYS, COMSOL, python).
- Expertise in the design of high-power networks (grid and substation planning).
- Expertise in high voltage insulation engineering.
- Strong skills using mechanical design tools (AutoCAD, SolidWorks, Libre, etc.).
- Preparation and execution of QA/QC and factory acceptance tests.
Expected Outcomes in 12 Months:
- Awareness of the company goals and demonstration of understanding of the project scope and objectives.
- Being a proactive engineer leveraging sound engineering principles to address challenges and drive solutions.
Working conditions: Laboratory and manufacturing environment, periodic work in outdoor environments (outdoor testbeds, pilot demonstrations).
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, and any other protected ground of discrimination under applicable human rights legislation. We strive to respect the dignity and independence of people with disabilities and are committed to giving them the same opportunity to succeed as all other employees.
To all recruitment agencies: VEIR does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, VEIR employees, or any other organization location. VEIR is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.