Manufacturing Engineer (Assembly Design)
Woburn, MA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2023
Giving everyone in the world access to clean, reliable, affordable energy will require substantial expansion of global electricity transmission networks. VEIR is developing a new generation of High Temperature Superconductor (HTS)-based transmission lines, enabling long distance, reliable, low loss, cost–effective power transfer in far smaller right–of–ways. VEIR’s innovations overcome the main barriers to transmission expansion, enabling the world to access the very lowest cost renewable power.
VEIR is seeking a motivated Senior Engineer to join our team. This individual will support VEIR’s Superconducting Systems Engineering team in designing, testing, and manufacturing VEIR’s prototypes and products.
- A strong communicator: You keep others informed as we work to enable collaboration and prioritization. You are skilled at communicating with the team, whether it be digital or verbal.
- A capable collaborator: You understand that we can accomplish more as a team than as an individual. Working by yourself is essential, and the ability to help the group achieve its objectives is key.
- Safety-focused: You exemplify the best in our industry in visible safety leadership.
- Improving the process. You question the standard dogma of our industry and believe that with some exploration, we may find better ways of doing things.
- Curious by nature: You want to understand why things work and how certain decisions were made.
- Hands-on by nature: You love to work with your hands doing projects–people often call you a tinkerer. Whether there is dirt literally under your fingernails or figuratively, you love to tackle projects.
- Lead/Manage/Accountable for the assembly line design, commissioning, and operation.
- Own controls and instrumentation on current and future assembly lines
- Improve the automated assembly line for VEIR’s cable products.
- Create/review test plans based on defined quality requirements, objectives, and timelines.
- Create/review installation, operating, and service procedures.
- Scope and implement development plans for future VEIR products.
- Manage a build order queue for the line.
- Manage technician resource allocation and shifts in line with cable production demands.
- Create and implement professional training tools for operators and technicians.
- Ensure operational safety.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field plus at least 7 years of related professional experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience evaluating and implementing control and instrumentation mechanisms into a hardware assembly line.
- Experience operating or servicing a multi-stage assembly line.
- Solid understanding of quality control and quality assurance methods and techniques.
- Solid understanding of automation techniques for hardware manufacturing.
- Understanding of modern control methods and techniques
- Understanding of state-of-the-art instrumentation and data collection methods and techniques
- Proficient in commonly used S/W control languages (LabVIEW, Python, etc.).
- User of mechanical design tools (AutoCAD, SolidWorks, Libre, etc.).
- Proficient technical writing for authoring and editing test plans, reports, procedures, etc.
- Awareness of the company goals and demonstration of understanding of the project scope and objectives.
- Proactive engineer leveraging sound engineering principles to address challenges and drive solutions.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field plus at least 10 years of related professional experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience managing a small team of engineers and technicians.
- Experience with helical winding machines commonly used in very long-length cable manufacturing.
- Experience with high-temperature superconductors (HTS).
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, and any other protected ground of discrimination under applicable human rights legislation. We strive to respect the dignity and independence of people with disabilities and are committed to giving them the same opportunity to succeed as all other employees.
To all recruitment agencies: VEIR does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, VEIR employees, or any other organization location. VEIR is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.