Mechanical Design Engineer - Infrastructure
The company is focused on hydrogen-electric propulsion solutions to address a variety of markets, initially targeting a 300-mile range in 9–19 seat aircraft by 2025, and up to 700-mile range in 40–80 seat aircraft by 2027. Based in the UK and USA, ZeroAvia has passed significant flight test milestones, secured a number of key partnerships with major aircraft OEMs and major global airlines, and is on track for commercial operations in 2025. The company’s achievements to date were rewarded by the UK prime minister by inviting ZeroAvia as a member to the UK Jet Zero Council.
ZeroAvia’s powertrain development focuses on integrating hydrogen storage tanks, fuel cell systems, and electric motors, delivering a solution that will be not only without climate-impacting emissions but also cheaper to operate. The company’s hydrogen infrastructure team is seeking to deliver the hydrogen production and refuelling ecosystem required to fuel the transition to emission-free aviation.
A key engineering role reporting into the general Mechanical Engineering Skillpool and working within the Infrastructure Division. Working closely with the product delivery, project management and aircraft hydrogen teams, this role needs strong creative engineering skills, project engineering and organisation to manage a thriving and growing set of complex programmes in liquid hydrogen, gaseous hydrogen and conversion technologies. Project sizes may be small today but are complex and we expect them to grow in the next 12-24 months to multi-stakeholder projects that will eventually scale to multiple million-dollar investments. The role will primarily be based out of the UK or the US, with the opportunity to travel.
- Experience in rotating equipment specification preferred – preferably operational exposure to several disciplines to enable design integration work
- The role includes supplier and client-facing interaction. The candidate should be able to engage with the local market, specialists in materials, thermodynamics, turbomachinery pressure equipment etc. and integrate as needed into projects
- Hands-on approach to resolving design issues, with the ability to scale the team going forward: comfortable with detailed design and thermal calculation
- Experience with CFD packages is a bonus
- Expertise in how to self-start and self-direct technical programme developments,
- Expertise in process safety is preferable
- Mastery of Front End Engineering Design studies
- Experience with gas processes, and with H2 specifically is desired
- Experience with Systems engineering approaches preferred
- B.Eng in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Process Engineering or similar preferred; further qualifications a bonus
- Innovation, growth hacking project development experience within process industries, industrial gas companies, hard tech, automotive (CNG/H2), EPCM or O&G
- Capital project delivery experience is a bonus
- Quantifiable experience of delivery under pressure, a range of roles spanning gas technologies, operations (e.g. refining) and engineering is necessary
- Top-tier companies/start-ups track record with the desire to build something in a nimble but disciplined fashion.
- LH2 experience
- Private Healthcare Plan
- Pension Plans
- Life Assurance
- Leave Package
- Stock Option Plan
Diversity and Inclusion
ZeroAvia is an equal opportunity employer and as a young company in the aviation industry, we value diversity and need people of different backgrounds that bring a plethora of skills, perspectives, and mindsets to the table that can spur originality, imagination, and creativity. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status