ZeroAvia is a leader in zero-emission aviation, flying the world’s largest hydrogen-electric aircraft since September 2020. Its focus is the design and commercialization of hydrogen-powered aviation solutions to address a variety of markets, initially targeting short-haul, sub-regional commercial flights up to 500 miles. To date, ZeroAvia has secured the UK CAA and FAA experimental permit to fly for its 19 seat aircraft powered by hydrogen-electric powertrain, passed significant flight tests, and is on track for commercial deliveries by 2025. Its achievements to date were rewarded by the UK prime minister by inviting ZeroAvia as a member to the UK Jet Zero Council.
ZeroAvia’s powertrain development focuses on integrating hydrogen storage tanks, fuel cell systems and electric motors, delivering a solution that will not only be without carbon emissions but also cheaper to operate.
Working within the electronics engineering team at ZeroAvia’s Hollister R&D site, you will be responsible for technical delivery of power electronic circuits through concept design and validation. This is a diverse role covering competencies within electrical engineering, power electronics, system integration, test and validation. The ideal candidate will have experience in one or more of these areas.
This is an excellent opportunity for a motivated individual to work in a varied role within a multidisciplinary and fast-paced organization. Experience within the aerospace sector is desirable.
Should be "19 seat" these days, right?
- Technical ownership and delivery of electrical designs for Fuel Cell Aircraft Powerplants through the entire development cycle.
- Provide engineering support for development of electronic hardware systems including EWIS and system integration.
- Interface with suppliers and other engineering teams to support subsystem level requirements capture.
- Design, plan and testing of various power electronic components such as electric machines, Fuel Cells, high voltage inverter drives and DC-DC converters.
- Ensure successful integration with the other subsystems within the drivetrain.
- Liaise and work with a multi-disciplinary team to support development and integration of various subsystems.
Experience and qualifications
- Degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
- Experience in design and testing of high voltage (>1kV) EV systems.
- Experience in design and testing high current (>1kA) EV harnesses and systems.
- Experience in design and building HV Battery systems and integrating Battery Management Systems
- Experience in design and building HV Fuel Cells and Cell Voltage Monitoring
- Circuit simulation using Matlab/Simulink/PSpice.
- Electronics schematic capture and PCB design. Experience with Altium Designer preferable.
- System design of EWIS for High Voltage Aircraft electrical power systems, working with electromagnetic, thermal, and mechanical design specialists (AC43-13B)
- Drafting Electrical System Schematics and Wiring Diagrams 2D/3D drawings.
- Working knowledge of wiring and harness design software tools (e.g. SolidWorks Electrical, Zuken E3.series etc…)
- Design and qualification of systems to aerospace standards such as DO-160.
- Designing to meet EMC requirements for EDU components.
- Proficient in safe use of high voltage test equipment such as PSUs, power analysers, motor test dynos etc.
- Experience with laboratory test equipment: Spectrum Analyser, Signal Analyser, Signal Generator, Oscilloscope and DVM
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent report writing and presentation skills.
- Experience of the system design life cycle within aerospace, automotive or similar systems development environment.
Diversity and inclusion
ZeroAvia is an equal-opportunity employer and as a young company in the aviation industry, we value diversity and need people of different backgrounds that bring a plethora of skills, perspectives, and mindsets to the table that can spur originality, imagination, and creativity. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.
The wage scale or salary range for this position is between $120,000 - $150,000. In addition to the foregoing base compensation, additional compensation and benefits are available to employees and eligible family members (as applicable) including the following:
- Bonus: Annual discretionary bonuses.
- Equity: Ability to exercise company stock options
- Retirement: Eligible to participate in the company's 401(k) Plan, with up to a 4% matching
- Health Insurance: Employer covers up to 80% of the employee's monthly premiums on medical, dental, and vision.
- Life Insurance: Basic Life/AD&D of up to $50,000 and the option to add on Supplemental Coverage.
- Short-Term Disability: Up to 60% of your earnings for up to a period of 24 weeks.
- Long-Term Disability: If your disability extends beyond 180 days, LTD Coverage for up to 60% of your earnings.
- Paid Time Off: Eligible employees may accrue up to 120 hours per year (15 days) and may borrow up to 40 hours (5 days).
- Sick Time: Eligible employees may accrue up to 40 hours, per year (5 days)
- Paid Holidays: 12 observed holidays, per calendar year.
- The Fly Club: up to $2,000 of reimbursement towards flying lessons to all full-time staff
Please note, among other factors, the compensation offered may vary based on work location, experience, qualifications, specialties, training, and then-current market and business considerations