Senior Thermal Engineer
At ZeroAvia, we’re clean sky thinkers. For the world to achieve truly clean, guilt-free flight, we need a scalable solution; hydrogen-electric powertrains. As a leader in zero-emission aviation and a UK Jet Zero Council member, we’re designing and commercialising hydrogen-powered solutions that will positively impact the future of aviation, global connectivity, and the world.
Engineering designs our next-generation hydrogen electric engines. Working across Hydrogen, Propulsion and Integration divisions, they solve technical problems and help decarbonize aviation by finding solutions for electric propulsion, hydrogen storage, fuel cell technology, power distribution, thermal management and more.
Working closely with other engineering functions, assume responsibility for all aspects of thermal management of power and propulsion systems. Demonstrate recent practical experience and comprehensive knowledge of various thermodynamic technologies to help meet current and future system requirements. Be prepared to act as a subject matter expert and lead on thermal topics.
Dynamic approach to complex problem solving including utilising empirical methods, basic calculations from first principles and 1D & 3D simulation tools. Use CAD to create designs and drawings of related system components and assemblies, and maintain design data in PLM system in accordance with company and industry standards.
Self-starter, diligent, results focused and flexible. Aerospace experience, knowledge of CAA, EASA, FAA certification processes and objectives a plus.
- All aspects of system thermal management from design to manufacture, including requirements capture, component specification and testing
● Innovative thermal concept generation, including analysis, prototype design and development
● Detailed design, analysis, testing and verification in line with aerospace regulations
● Specification and delivery of equipment such as heat exchangers, pumps, valves, fluid conveyance and instrumentation
● Determination of strategies for component level engineering evaluation testing including design, installation and commissioning of test rigs
● Liaise closely with internal and external stakeholders to ensure accurate and efficient implementation of thermal solutions and requirements
● Host, participate, present as appropriate in internal and external design and project reviews
Education: Bachelor's degree in an appropriate discipline and commensurate depth of technical experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
● First hand knowledge of implementing innovative thermal management solutions
● Prior knowledge of H2 fuel cell and/or electric powertrain cooling systems a plus
● Experience with integrating both proprietary technologies and new product development
● Conversant with associated hardware such as heat exchangers, pipework, pumps, valves and sensors
● Knowledgeable in experimental methods for thermodynamic and aerodynamic assessment
● Experience in developing test instrumentation and data acquisition systems, knowledge of programming environments (e.g. LabVIEW) a plus
● Experience of high voltage enclosures, power electronics and associated thermal management practices a plus
● User of MATLAB Simulink/Simscape or similar 1D thermo-fluid software
● Experience of commercial CFD codes (e.g. Ansys Fluent/CFX)
● Use of CAD (Siemens NX, Solidworks) for preparation of 3D model and engineering drawings, surface modelling a plus
● Use of Teamcenter PLM or similar
● Knowledge of materials, finishes and other processes including additive manufacturing
● Commensurate depth of related aerospace industry experience
● Ability to assimilate technology and technical details quickly and communicate the requirements clearly to ZeroAvia colleagues and stakeholders
● Excellent interpersonal skills and level of spoken and written English
● Ability to work on own initiative as well as part of a growing multinational team
ZeroAvia is an equal opportunity employer and as a young company in the aviation industry, we value diversity and need people of different backgrounds that bring a plethora of skills, perspectives, and mindsets to the table that can spur originality, imagination, and creativity. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status