Polymer Composite Specialist
At ZeroAvia, we’re clean sky thinkers. For the world to achieve truly clean, guilt-free flight, we need a scalable solution; hydrogen-electric powertrains. As a leader in zero-emission aviation and a UK Jet Zero Council member, we’re designing and commercialising hydrogen-powered solutions that will positively impact the future of aviation, global connectivity, and the world.
Engineering designs our next-generation hydrogen electric engines. Working across Hydrogen, Propulsion and Integration divisions, they solve technical problems and help decarbonize aviation by finding solutions for electric propulsion, hydrogen storage, fuel cell technology, power distribution, thermal management and more.
Structural Materials Group of ZeroAvia is working on the development of the new materials and assemblies for Bi-Polar Plates (BPP) and gaskets in High Temperature PEM (HT PEM) fuel cells. The result of the work may enable application of HT PEM technology in a full range of aircrafts through use of the lightweight, electro- and thermo-conductive materials and their structures suitable for extended range of the fuel cell operation conditions. Meeting temperature and chemical resistance goals set the group in the cutting edge of technology as in inhouse development as in cooperation with materials partners. Being a part of this group, you will be responsible for technical leadership and conducting of the development programs from the idea to the full-scale manufacturing of composite based bi-polar plates and other elements of the power generation system.
This is the great opportunity for individual to contribute and expand further the expertise in polymer composites delivering low density, high thermal and electric conductivity in a raw with temperature, chemical and mechanical resistance.
- Identifies, plans, recommends, and completes major technical programs leading to innovative materials and extensions of existing and new technologies having significant impact on the performance goals.
- Provides technical leadership in the development, scale up and introduction of new materials, technologies, and processing conditions.
- Develops new laboratory capabilities (equipment, methods), run R&R (reproducibility and repeatability) analysis and lead improvement activities.
- Analyses and interprets results of experimental work. Recommends and develops solutions for technical and product problems.
- Advances and utilizes knowledge of technical, product, and market information, including customer and competitive information.
- May review and/or generate intellectual property positions, including proprietary advances, records of invention, patents, trade secrets, etc.
- Establishes and cultivates an extensive network of support within ZeroAvia and with external partners to facilitate completion of programs.
- May assist in the development of other technical employees, contract workers, tech aides, etc. May be responsible for leading others (engineers and technicians) as part of the assigned technical programs.
- Continues to build by participation in internal activities and through interactions with outside technical and research organizations such as universities, national labs, professional/technical organizations, or tradeshows.
- Experienced accredited Ph.D. graduates in Chemistry, Material Sciences, Nanotechnologies, or individuals with degrees in those sciences plus appropriate additional course work and experience.
- >5 years of practical experience in development of polymer composites for energy applications
- Understanding of market and technology trends and demonstration of advanced knowledge, skills, abilities in the polymer composites for hydrogen fuel cells -
- Development of the polymer compounds functionalised with conductive fillers
- Development of the processing conditions to form the part with range of techniques used for thermoset and thermoplastic polymers
- Characterization of the composition, microstructure and properties of polymer composites (SEM, TGA & DSC, XRF, mechanical testing, etc.)
- Proven and sustained ability to generate and lead new research and development programs having significant impact.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to multifunctional teams through project leadership or by providing key technical participation.
- Possesses thorough understanding of concepts and professional practices to solve complex and diverse problems.
- Utilizes strong technical and non-technical communication skills and continuously improves these skills
Diversity and inclusion
ZeroAvia is an equal opportunity employer and as a young company in the aviation industry, we value diversity and need people of different backgrounds that bring a plethora of skills, perspectives, and mindsets to the table that can spur originality, imagination, and creativity. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.